Testing & Validation
in Automotive & Mobility
The umlaut test approach consists of an end-to-end test chain from test planning to execution and test documentation. We have increased the efficiency of our testing in our global test house with a high degree of automation that is easily customizable for the needs of our clients. Flexible engagement models focus on producing test results with repeatable quality that can be used directly in the development process of our clients. We understand the products and technologies that we test. We are able to advise on development improvements based on test result findings in a continuous improvement approach.
Infotainment systems are constantly evolving with new functions and highly interconnected features. To ensure the systems meet the high-quality standards of end customers in time for market launch, umlaut handles testing efforts with deep technological knowledge and innovative testing solutions in the fields of
- Climate control/HVAC
- Speech recognition systems
- Projection (Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, MirrorLink)
- App certification
- Vehicle diagnostics and configuration
- Cluster and head-up displays
- Rear seat entertainment
- Simulation (bench/breadboard based)
- System integration
- Test planning and strategy, and
- Test drives.
Telematics is the new era of automotive technology. It continues to evolve with each passing day as it deals with seamless connectivity concepts of most OEMs. We help you push these technologies to the next level with
- End-to-end testing, including in-vehicle, telematics module, smart phone app, customer web portal, and cloud
- Remote services and diagnostics
- Emergency call services
- EV connected features
- Fleet telematics
- Over-the-air updates
- Smartphone as digital key
- Remote diagnostics and vehicle health alerts
- Wi-Fi hotspots.
Certification of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
The expanding use of common infotainment platforms being provided by tech giants like Apple and Google is prompting the OEMs to go for their certification for increased customer experience and satisfaction. umlaut has developed its expertise by leading its efforts towards
- MFi authorized test lab to test CarPlay accessories in one home
- Conduct of certification, pre-certification, advisory services and early R&D testing in multiple global locations of your choice
- Global analysis on the relevant tech giants and suppliers
- Global in-car and in-flight entertainment requirement expertise
- Usability solutions.
umlaut holds itself accountable for the (r)evolution of electric mobility by ensuring the quality of newly developed e-mobility technologies and components. With our broad knowledge and experience in hard- and software testing and validation, umlaut contributes to each chain link in the wide world of e-mobility.
- Battery - complete batteries, packs, cells
- Battery management
- Powertrain - AC-DC and DC-DC inverters, electric machines etc.
- Energy management and operation strategy
- Diagnostics for HV components of PHEVs and BEVs
- System integration
- Test drives, test rigs, HiL, SiL
- Charging/on-board charger and charging infrastructure
With the upcoming market ramp up of electric vehicles and charging infrastructure, the challenge of interoperability puts a focus on EV charging. Here, umlaut can support the whole chain from grid to vehicle with tailored solutions. We are experts for all charging standards and offer a wide portfolio of services to validate charging functionality.
- Testing of both electric vehicles and charging infrastructure
- Testing of AC and DC charging (CCS, GB/T and CHAdeMO)
- Interoperability tests with umlaut test suite
- Conformance tests
- Homologation tests
- Test, defect, ticket and supplier management
- Software, component, subsystem and system tests
- On-board charger test and validation
- Worldwide charging test drives
- System integration
- Plug & Charge and Value Added Services
- Backend integration
- Cyber security
- Home Energy Management Systems (HEMS)
EV Cyber Security
The Plug & Charge feature will change the EV charging experience by allowing customers to simply plug in and start charging their vehicle immediately, no matter what public charging station. New protocols and standards enable a seamless exchange of data for authentication and payments. The security side of this system has to be tested in order to ensure a correct behavior and the protection of assets against misuse. The focus of our approach is
- Vehicle/EVSE authentication
- Credentials exchange
- Roaming protocols behavior
- Misuse behavior detection
- Secure firmware updates
- Payment handling and authentication.
The development of autonomously driving vehicles is an extremely complex and demanding task, which to a large extent still has a conceptual character.
umlaut has several years of project experience in this field and can thus combine methodical approaches with pragmatic and realistic solutions, such as
- Data analysis and anomalies correlation
- Driving tests
- Functional safety
- MiL, PiL, SiL, HiL testing
- Requirement engineering
- System integration
- Test cases for drivability
- Test model design
- Test setup.
HiL, SiL, MiL, PiL
Years of experience make us experts in designing end-to-end test equipment, test software and test sequences/cases for Vehicle in the Loop (ViL), Hardware in the Loop (HiL) and Automated Test Equipment (ATE). umlaut has an in-house fabrication and production capacity (umlaut product solutions) that enables seamless design, development and production under one umbrella. As an alliance partner of National Instruments and dSpace, umlaut is a pioneer in cutting edge concept realization to implementation in these and in Vector tools and platforms. We support you in every aspect of testing simulation.
The world of automotive is moving to reduce build of prototype vehicles, minimize cost and maximize quality checks by shifting quality to the left of V cycle. With the immense expertise in simulating and testing autogenerated codes (MIL/SIL/PIL), umlaut team supports your initiative for a great quality product.
- End-to-end design and development of HiL, ViL and ATEs
- Re-purposing existing HiL systems and providing consulting solutions for HiL Systems as a Service
- Testing powertrain, electrification, connected mobility and ADAS systems
- Expertise on mechatronics, robotics and control systems
- Variant handling through modelling and simulation (MIL/SIL)
- Test planning and plant model development
- Simulation environment setup with processors and testing (PIL)
- Test data analysis and improvements
umlaut provides design and engineering countermeasures for requirements throughout the entire product development process from ideation and definition to early concepts, prototypes and market readiness. We perform benchmarking using the following methodologies:
- Analysis, reporting and recommendations
- Bluetooth IOP
- Multiple vehicle configuration testing
- User behavior analysis
- User experience.
Goal of the umlaut test assessment is to determine a reliable statement about the current testing quality, and to propose concrete pragmatic improvements. Bringing together both our own vast experience in executing testing and our methodical consulting on testing, the proposed improvements bring sustainable solutions to our customers.
Our goal is the optimization of
- Efficient defect handling
- Efficient test execution
- Requirement handling and test case creation
- Target group oriented reporting
- Test strategy and steering, and
- Tool evaluation supporting best test documentation.
Our extensive experience in manual testing and software development gives us an edge to seamlessly transform any testing platform into an automated environment that enables better productivity and continuous improvement in the development life-cycle. umlaut uses tools like Appium, Squish, MonkeyRunner, Ranorex etc. combined with artificial intelligence concepts such as OCR or Icon Comparison to automate HMI testing.
Code analysis, functional SW testing and model based approaches can also be automated with us and our experience (Vector Toolchain, Tessy, ECU Test, EXAM). Implementing automation in continuous integration processes completes our portfolio.
Additionally we provide solutions for
- Framework design and development
- Test app development
- Audio and image processing
- HMI, ADAS, web portals, mobile app coverage
- Key Performance Indicators testing
- Software in the Loop
- Software Automation as a Service
- Parametric testing and variant/edge case generation
- Generation of test data for simulation and interfaces
- ASAM ATX.
Test Driven Engineering House
The Test Driven Engineering House is a holistic approach championed by umlaut that addresses unique challenges within the automotive product development & test departments using key enablers like Model 8, Hub & Spoke Model and Variable Capacity Management. Test Driven Engineering House is an extension of our client’s organization housed within umlaut facility. The proven benefits out of this model are:
- Reduced dependency on heterogeneous suppliers
- Bridge the gap between disciplines
- Reduced costs
- Best in class umlaut services
- Test house assessment
- Year on year investment
- Increase efficiency while reducing cost
- Integrated & agile testing model
- Metrics based engagement
- Variable capacity management
- Process standardization.
Get in touch with our experts!
Find out about umlaut Testing & Validation in
- Buzz Topics