An increasing desire for cleaner mobility and more quality of life is affecting all means of transport. Electrification and hybridisation are changing technology dramatically, linking up previously unconnected sectors and triggering a complete re-think of vehicle concepts and entire company structures.
Expanding on the charging station infrastructure, adapting the powertrain including new battery technologies and the usage of alternative fuels are just a few of the challenges the industry needs to address along-side the further development of autonomous driving, networking and other new mobility concepts. Business models, supply chains and the level of cross-sectoral offerings are going to change in the process.
We have been supporting the introduction of new technologies and solutions across all industries ever since the beginning of electric mobility. Our concentrated expertise includes test services for individual hardware and software components, the development of new products and business models, the rollout of charging infrastructure and the integration of the energy and digital industries.
With more than 250 employees in consulting, engineering and testing and hundreds of colleagues from adjacent industries waiting in the wings, we are one of the world's leading service providers in the fields of electric mobility and charging solutions.
Our umlaut experts provide end-to-end services including all relevant topics, amongst others strategy and business models, market analysis, quality management and many more. We thus cover the entire value creation process from battery, to xEV vehicle and charging infrastructure to the ecosystem.
Batteries are the key technology that enables portable electronics, more sustainable forms of mobility and fast-acting flexibilization for the electrical grid. We provide expertise and services along the entire value chain of a battery according to our end-2-end approach – from battery raw materials to cell production, first and second life applications as well as recycling.
Our experienced team will support you with wide-ranging competencies and services:
- Strategy and business development
- Technology and product roadmapping
- Design of battery cells, modules, and packs
- Supplier, competitor, and costs analysis
- Engineering of battery cells, modules, and packs
- Production process optimization and ramp-up support
- Battery management systems
- Battery testing (including abuse) and validation
Technology within BEVs or PHEVs require different approaches when it comes to development and integration. With our broad expertise and cross industry approach we connect proven automotive methods with new technology challenges like testing methods for HV components. We can cover the handling of new start-up suppliers or create innovative test solutions while still delivering results in-time to the established development and testing processes of our long-term customers.
Our services range from performing worldwide charging interoperability test campaigns to the realization of prototype harnesses:
- EV benchmarking
- Interoperability testing
- Integration management
- Supplier management
- HV test solutions
- HV component testing
- Cell testing
- Automated testing
- Data analytics
- Requirements engineering
- Hardware and software development
Fuel cell driven vehicles are another complementary technology which enables CO2 neutral mobility. In order to offer a high efficiency and optimal usability, a combination with battery technologies is mandatory. Therefore, an optimal design of power electronics, battery and fuel cell capacity are key factors for product optimization.
Regarding fuel cell stacks and balance of plant components we offer the following services:
- Strategy consulting incl. market and trend analysis
- Cost management
- Innovation management and technology consulting
- Fuel Cell knowledge support
- Characterization and testing
- Modelling and simulation of complete FC systems
- Conceptual and detail design of all system components
- Rapid prototyping procedures
- Test bench layout and construction
- Test case creation
- Test operation, evaluation/reporting of results, and documentation
- Integration and coordination of design interfaces – balance of plant
- Preparation and installation of pre-series and prototypes
- Responsibility for component development
We want sustainable mobility – even in the air. Transitional technologies consist of the more electric aircraft, a set of technologies that can be integrated into current aircraft series, or more sustainable usage of energy sources, for example by using biofuels. Long-term goals might be full electric aircraft or aircraft powered by alternative energy sources such as hydrogen. umlaut supports customers implementing innovative ideas for years.
- Agile Innovation Management
- Minimum Viable Process Management
- Requirements engineering
- Model-based Systems Engineering
- Certification support: CS-23, CS-25, CS-27, SC VTOL
- Configuration Management and operational support
- Electric systems, harnesses and wiring
- Supplier strategy and management
- Verification and validation, test definition and supervision
For more than 10 years, umlaut has been deeply involved in the development, testing, standardization committees and the construction and operation of charging infrastructure for various customers worldwide. We respond flexibly to customer requirements and always pursue the goal of achieving the best results together with our customers.
- Requirements analysis of technology and markets worldwide (standards, regulations, certifications, subsidies...)
- Consulting in product development (e.g. German calibration law “Eichrecht”)
- CE Conformity Assessments (requirements, testing, risk analysis...)
- Support of certification processes (e.g. USA, CHAdeMO…)
- Requirements of German grid operators (VDE4100 / VDE4105 / VDE4110)
- Interoperability tests between EVSE and EV
- ISO15118 & DIN Spec 70122 conformity assessment with umlaut test suite
- Side/Factory acceptance tests
- Software, component, subsystem and system tests
- End-2-end testing and validation according to standards and grid codes
- Plug & Charge and Value-added Services
- Backend Integration
- Cyber Security (system hardening, penetration testing)
- Rollout and supplier management
- Planning, design, and optimization of charging parks
The usage of H2 as a fuel is a central component to decarbonize the mobility sector. Right now, we are at the very beginning of the implementation of a H2 mobility infrastructure and some things may be unclear. With our broad knowledge on infrastructure from production to the refueling station we are happy to add the following services on töp:
- Design and layout of H2 refueling stations
- Strategic site selection for H2 infrastructure
- Requirement analysis for H2 infrastructure
- Rollout management and support
- Product development and engineering
- Supply chain management
umlaut provides a wide range of consulting services within the eMobility ecosystem. Within the broad expertise and market knowledge, umlaut is able to anticipate developments and trends affecting the whole value chain, rather than just focusing on individual markets or roles. Therein, established topics and evolving trends are of our attention in the same manner.
Please get in contact with us for any inquiry regarding:
- Market overviews or penetrations
- Market development and ramp up scenarios
- Targeting and use cases
- Customer journey and mobility patterns
- Identifying and evaluating potential revenue streams
- Participation in energy markets
- Business model development and innovation
- Data analytics and monetarization
- Hardening or certifying backends or systems (customer data protection)
We are happy to guide you through Electric Mobility, adding our expert services on töp.
Get in touch with our experts!
Lead Partner Energy & Utilities
|+1 248 4508678|
Head of Charging Infrastructure
|+49 151 61269050|